Saturday 1 June 2013

Extension

Asked and answered for.

Booyah!

Anyway, reworking existing stuff is way more troublesome than writing new s#!+. When you look at what you have, the flaws/gaps become so much more obvious than a blank sheet of paper that needs words on it. I'm fixing up Neal's thing (so I can totally focus on Danielle's) and it is killing me!

I can see the difference between a regular Undergraduate humanities essay and the standard involved in something more.

Adrian was talking the other day about making great work or being a great writer. Most of those reading this blog haven't had the pleasure of seeing me do my thing, and very likely won't if all we have is this year. I make great theatre, and I can say this unashamedly. You may not like it, but there is no arguing that what I do lacks impact.

What I'm trying to do is be a great writer - not a creative one, but an analytical, descriptive and innovative one. I write realistic dialogue, and my general wording is accessible and fairly fluid.

Writing for the academic disciplines is infinitely more refined, dry and cumbersome, but offers alternate rewards.

My bibliography (recorded) is around 120 things, and that is the last three months alone. I found a book that isn't yet released that I can foresee will be integral to my research.

This is nuts. I'm extending my own knowledge. I can comfortably argue about things I genuinely care about verbally, and it's starting to show on paper. I can also (still) create without destroying the inherent art.

I want to be the freak that can do both. I want to teach, to inspire and to love as much as many of my instructors have, do. I want to have coffee with Richard and work with his choir, write a chapter for something Adrian is working on, release a book, co-edit a volume with Anna, strip for Daniel, moonlight at Monash, teach at RMIT, get paid to live in Japan.

And somehow, it all feels possible. But first I need to use my extension. Cheers be to Danielle! 

2 comments:

  1. Love the enthusiasm mate. Can totally see you achieving those goals in the very near future. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also just happened across this (if you're not already privy to it): http://vimeo.com/33880281

    ReplyDelete