Monday 29 July 2013

Again with the pieces

I cut up the essay so far into little parts and ended up with a lot less than I thought I had, especially when removing the case studies from the equation.

I'm also questioning where I need to put theatre into the mix. Is it safe to assume (NO) that people will get it, or must I spend valuable words defining my notion of theatre in terms of this essay?

Another thought that comes to mind is the exact nature of the fourth-wall, and how much I should write about the phenomenon. I feel like unpacking it over history then following that up with how it works today is kind of bogus, whereas if I marry the two together it has much more flow and actually leads into the place that the writing needs to end up - the case studies.

From there, the case studies themselves pose an issue. I don't think I can do just one, but three is way too many if I'm going deep, so two seems like the best option. However, because I'm really only talking about one facet of theatre, it might be best to do a cross-section of several practical uses of the alternate fourth-wall.

So it comes down to getting a good set up. I think the first chapter is shaping up okay, and the second one is going to cause the issues, but the faster I write the faster I'll find out.

It has to flow. That is the key to everything. I want to write it so the argument almost isn't there, as if you read this thing and its as if the conclusion was already in you - you just didn't know it yet. 

I can't decide whether I want images, but I think since I'm talking visual medium it is better to go down that path. With two of the guys I'm interviewing I need to see if photos exist from our work together - that way I can agree to images of myself being used and credit the gents while we're at it.

Again with the pieces and the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment