Monday 22 July 2013

Return to Earth

Today was mixed.

I was dreading the feedback, meetings and all the rest, but excited about getting back into the swing of things.

The first (and only) class was a pleasant surprise. Here, we discussed practical ways of dealing with the coming semester and our marking/assignment schedule was unveiled - which looks remarkably similar to my undergraduate performance stuff - consisting mainly of a 'journal' or sorts plus the added bonus of a 1000 word write up about Honours in general. 

After that, I had my meeting with Larissa. I thought I was going to be murdered but we had a good laugh and for the first time I felt like I was leading the exchange, directing where the research is going and establishing tough but realistic deadlines - and associated accountability. 

With that done, I went to visit Adrian and get my crappy essay back, only it was 10% better than the last one in marks and the most red ink was a positive write-up on the back. We talked about it and after a little discussion Adrian agreed that while we might not see eye-to-eye on the theory I'm employing, for me it works and for Honours it does the same.

After all that, I went out to purchase a new pen and note-book. Having kept several 'journals' for performance, it's the one exception I have to the paperless system. There is something to be said about a nice pen landing on quality paper, and how this translates into the mind and memory.

So when I say today was mixed, I mean that I woke up with dread in my stomach and received only (relatively) good things. Confusing, but not bad.

So, targets...

General
Daily: Blog
Tri-weekly: Journal
Weekly: 2000 words

Specifics
Draft Thesis: Week 8
Draft Chapters: Every fortnight
Interviews: mid-late August

Others
Publish
Publish More
Scope for PhDs

Welcome back, or in the words of The Boss (Larissa), 'no time for sleep'.



No comments:

Post a Comment