Sunday 4 August 2013

Compilations, Comics and Weaving

With a little rest under the belt, I spent some time putting together a draft (3K) for Larissa to read/destroy.

My original plan was to have a Chapter One down, but instead I had half of Chapters One and Two.

I was a little worried about it, but Jason said I should just roll with it anyway - writing is writing, and better than no writing after all.

So I chucked it together and it reads like a comic strip in progress. Some bits are sketches, others inked and a few places have a splash of colour.

Looking over it, I can see good and bad spots, connections arising, overworked ideas, things that helped me arrive at certain places now proving useless, but the places providing stimulation for new writing.

I don't know what Larissa will say but I'm glad it happened this way, because the threads are the important part. Some weave together to make rope, others unravel, but even as they unravel the material is there to recombine into new weaves.

There's a great thread I found that moves through remediation into remediating, and does so from stage to screen via liveness and immediacy. I haven't played with the fibres yet, but I can tell it'll be a rope by the end.

And it all happens in the writing - and the space in between. If I write until an idea falls out, I write the idea down and go off to think about it for a while. Then I jot down the thoughts and write them back into the writing, and the process repeats.

Weaving the ropes and making the comics aren't too different.


No comments:

Post a Comment