Wednesday 14 August 2013

Woodchopping

Writing little bits did nothing, so I wrote a lot.

I just wrote freely, and pushed out over 1K words in about an hour (in segments of course). It was halfway between and introduction and a plan, but really addressed what I was/am thinking and where it might go.

One thing that struck me was that my thesis is still changing. I thought I'd found where it was going and that I could write to that, edit a thousand times and be done, but my Super has thrown a spanner in the works which is moving it ever elsewhere, not just in terms of this thesis but in terms of my overall research arc.

I used to think this kind of thing was a problem (in a big way), but it turns out it is only a mild inconvenience (regarding temporary block). So long as I write when I can and don't when I can't, it isn't too much hassle.

What becomes tough is when I don't write/read/think for more than about two days, or if I do for more than five at a stretch. There is the need for a balance in there and I just can't seem to hit the nail, or when I do the balance shifts. Maybe I can't find it, because there isn't actually a balance at all.

Whatever.

What I do know is that there is a difference between media archaeology, media genealogy and new materialism and that the train of thought I'm following is somewhere between the three.

On a side note, I kind of invented an idea regarding insistent, persistent and resistant media (maybe I'll chuck in consistent while I'm at it - I typed it and sometimes mistakes work out for the best), but that was a little more related to my pursuit for after Honours, like my "Rockstar Barista" thesis, or my "Connected v2.0" project.

Anyway, the main point is that I broke my drought. 

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment