Saturday 3 August 2013

Not Enough Hours In A Day

I wrote more today, focussing on Immediacy, unpacking it further and I came across this great idea from Lahman about looking through vs looking at.

The two ideas respectively align with immediacy and hypermediacy, but offer another way of explaining them, which is really useful when you're sick of manipulating the same words repeatedly.

I haven't finished Chapter One's draft, but I'm plodding along. I have however started Chapter Two, and between them both I'm over my word count.

I also got the meeting set up for ethics, and provided that goes through this time I'm on track for interviews at the end of this month. I've got two pretty sure bets and depending on what comes out that might be enough.

On a note far more related to the theme of this post, I did some extra work on the INXS movie today. For those who know anything about Australian music history, I had a cup of tea with Tim Farriss while we were killing time between shots - and we talked about world politics and the nature of contemporary film and theatre.

I bumped into another lad (Steve Lopez) who I'd done a shoot with a while back and we had a great talk about acting styles and in particular the merits of non-acting - something I'm pretty keen to pursue as a line of enquiry further down the track.  

After the shoot I ran over to see non-acting in action via 'Einstein On The Beach'. The shoot finished early which means I only missed the first hour of the show, but I caught the last three-and-a-half

Yeah, it's a long piece. It absolutely lines up with what I'm writing about (it's a hypermediate epic), and it is a beautiful nightmare to watch.

At times I was totally rapt in the smallest things. A light hitting the side of a clock looked exactly like a crescent moon, and I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Other times I was taken with the spectacle, like the penultimate 'scene' when lights met machinery and floating boxes glided past one another as the bomb dropped in the form of a huge semi-transparent screen.

Einstein played beautiful violin. A tiny Asian girl sang 'Bed' all alone. The sheet music was clearly visible - and enormous.
I thought a girl was a dummy - until she moved.

And so much more.

And it was also madness/sleep inducing, but speaking of sleep inducing I'll have to get to that later.

Not enough hours, remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment