Thursday 22 August 2013

Nuances

Alright, so I've been offline for a few days because I'm actually writing.

Anyway, the big thing for me has been twisting things into shape, inserting paragraphs into other places and all that sort of thing.

Tonight I finally stumbled across the idea that finally brings my whole essay full circle. What it requires is a return to my old essay with the ideas from my new essay. It looks a little like this:

New media
remediation
immediacy - lot
hypermediacy - little

the wall history and archeology (working forward from the rupture)
immediacy - realism
hypermediacy - non realism

the contemporary wall genealogy (working backward)
immediacy - little
hypermediacy - lot
new media

It has that nice feel of circularity, which instead of just being a device I like lines up neatly with the genealogical approach. It also gives the ol' Remediation a context, the (intangible) wall an archaeological standpoint and the contemporary wall a link to both the archaeological and the new media angles.

It lets me visit what I've already written but combine it in new ways - and makes for very sporadic writing. I can rip 500 words out of nowhere, then spend two days staring at an ancient paragraph, wondering where I should put it - or if I should keep it at all.

I've been pretty ruthless too, as ruthless as someone can be that keeps almost every version of everything ever written.

The point is that I've made a little more progress and I'm trying as hard as I can to keep it up. I've adjusted my methods, my sleep, my eating and my work all in order to make it happen, and the best I can do is a little shift.

The question is: are nuances enough? We'll wait and see

No comments:

Post a Comment