Sunday 18 August 2013

Write when you can

Twofold.

When you have spare time, write and; when you have ideas, write.

When you can't do either, read, but write as you read wherever possible, even if it isn't in the traditionally academic way.

I said earlier I've had writer's block, but that isn't strictly true. I've actually written thousands of words over the last fortnight - it's just that they don't quite work at the necessary level of current quality control.

However, as I've noted previously, editing is my bane. As such, the more I have to edit, the better the product.

I've been on a serious bender of theory writing but this has bred ideas, and while they're certainly lacking the required expansion, the fact that they are (digitally) tangible words in the same vicinity as my reasonable work makes them all the more likely to be used - and used fruitfully. 

I look at these half formed sentences and sketches of ideas and while I lack the time to address them in full presently, I can see where they might lead both in terms of my current writing and potential future research.

It is frustrating as all hell, but if they weren't there they'd be in my head and consequently depriving me of even more sleep than my present capacity entails.

Long story short: write when you can and don't beat yourself up when you can't - it'll come when it/you're ready.

G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment