Tuesday 24 September 2013

4500: Pens and Swords

Today I went to the gym and moved over four metric tonnes in about three-quarters of an hour.

For an 80-ish kg guy with (really) bad knees, shocking ankles (from breaks) and a bung shoulder, I'd say I didn't do too badly.

My trainer/brother was pretty stoked at my resolve, and because we trained together I got to see what my potential might be. He's an inch taller than me, 10-15 kegs heavier than me and can throw almost twice the weight I can. As I loaded his weights onto the bars, I realised that since this year I have improved beyond the point I thought I could do at all, only to see that it's not even close to what I can actually achieve.

After the work out, I rolled home and sat before my laptop. I read over the first round of stuff I sent Larissa. I deleted the (four metric tonnes of) grammatical errors, and sat with the notes, all six of them. There were a couple of 'insert paragraphs here', a pair of 'goods' (do nothing, this works) and a pair of 'Larissa thinks you should write this here'. The first two I'm stewing over, the second two give me hope and the final two I'm not sure I agree with - one because it's in the wrong place, the other because it doesn't seem to fit at all.

After reading that stuff, I dived into the rest instead. I pulled the 4500 words I'd written for the end and started hitting them with a view to refining, rewriting and editing them into something I might use to hit the rest from another angle.

I deleted excess. I moved a few sentences here and there and all of a sudden I found a paragraph in my third chapter to switch with the last one in my second.

HOLY SHIT.

This one paragraph changed everything. It gave me a way to move what I already have into better order (i.e. edit) and fit what I don't into gaps.

I don't want to jinx it, so I won't go into anymore for the moment. Also, I moved a few tonnes of both mental and physical weight so I'm pretty tired, and it's 'Breaking Bad' night if no-one else minds.

Pens or Swords? Which one hurts more? Which one feels better? After 4500, I still can't tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment