Saturday 28 September 2013

Different Ways too the Same Place

So I spoke to my Mum last night and we talked about our research and writing styles (she's studying speech pathology at Newcastle Uni). She seems to do things the other way around to me.

By this I mean I rant about stuff I know about and am pretty concise with the things I don't.

We also talked about our Supervisors and that goes in reverse too. I send Larissa stuff via email, so when we meet we pretty much hang out, exchange stories and tell jokes over ginger tea, then really quickly talk about the work. Mum sends life stuff to her super and they talk shop in the meetings.

I spoke to a lovely girl at work today who stresses about the work by reading too much then writes everything at the last minute. I write volumes because editing is my bane - the more I have the more I can refine.

I'm off to see another friend doing Honours elsewhere (Monash) who has just finished his performance project and is freaking out about having to write.


I thought I'd be under word count, but I'll be looking at 15-16K on Friday when I'm all written up.

I'm taking the train up to NSW because it gives me more time to write than the usual airplane angle.

Never thought I'd like writing a thesis, but I do. Never thought I'd take the train again but I will. Never thought I'd meet so many people doing research but I have.

Whatever works for you is how you do it. Sometimes it isn't what you think will work, but as long as it gets you there it is totally awesome. No matter which way we go about it, we all end up at the same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment