Monday 23 September 2013

Read it and weep

I don't have any writing focus today, so after my meeting with Larissa (which went pretty well - took fifteen minutes and was mostly us just talking about unrelated stuff) I headed home to relax.

Which means reading up on the stuff I need to know more about.

First stop was a quick look at Margaret Morse and Erving Goffman. Goffman looks at the world through the lens of theatre, but in the realm of sociology. No need to go deep, but worth mentioning him along the way. Morse does a lot more stuff with interfaces, especially in the progression from film through TV to new media. She has a little theatre about her, but is more on the side of NM which is what I need to chuck in.

I spent more time reading Peter Eckersall (one of my markers). I had an idea to write some of his stuff on adaptation into the mix, but I found his work on dramaturgy to be more up to the task. There are some pretty good articles that really fit with the convergence idea whilst taking into account the history of theatre. They look like this:

http://www.tandfonline.com.ezproxy.lib.rmit.edu.au/doi/full/10.1080/13528165.2012.696864#tabModule

http://search.informit.com.au.ezproxy.lib.rmit.edu.au/fullText;dn=029826682408264;res=IELHSS

The last of them led me back to Hans Lehmenn, but into a different essay of his I can't get my hands on called "Mirror Mirror, Fourth Wall" in a collection called "Theatre after Theatre".

I really want to read it but I'm also a little terrified that I've finally found the person who has already beaten me to my essay in the form of an old German Professor of performance.

When I do read it I'll cry either way (joy or despair).

Read it and weep you might say...

No comments:

Post a Comment