Saturday 7 September 2013

Whoops

Mis-timed my work schedule today. Thought I had work at 8pm but it was actually at 3pm. Luckily I'm pretty close so I wasn't very late. Pretty hungry now though!

It did ruin my writing schedule for the day, but that just means two sessions tomorrow instead of one. Tomorrow's aim is to get chapter 2 done or as close as possible. I have a feeling chapter 2 will bleed heavily into chapter 3, and chapter 3 will cycle back into chapter 1 when it's all done which is exactly what I'm looking for. Just need to spit out the words.

This downtime has been great for reading, which in turn has given me a lot more time to focus on the real crux of my essay - the fourth-wall.

If new media is all about participation and interaction, theatre is the artform that best offers these ideas and it did so way before the introduction of interfaces. The newness of new media is in it's ability to bridge distance, but otherwise it adheres to the general theatrical model. While theatre's fourth-wall can be demonstrated as an interface both of itself and in terms of influence on the progression to new media, theatre also anticipated the breaking of this wall as the dominant cultural desire. New media remediates theatrical style and content where theatre remediates new media objects. While the two remediate each other, new media could not exist without theatre but theatre has no requirement for new media.

That's a bit strong but it's kind of the gist.

Man, I need to eat something. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment