Saturday 7 September 2013

Back from the dead II

Clearly I've been offline for a while.

I suppose I should make it clear. This post is exactly as it sounds. I was back home in NSW burying one of my best friend's who decided after a long battle with bipolar and schizophrenia that enough was enough and it was time for a change of scenery.

It was a pretty rough ride for those left behind, but on the bright side I saw (and drank with) loads of my friends and families.  Circumstances bad. Reunion good.

Everyone who hasn't seen me over the last couple of weeks has greeted me with the approximate title of this post, which is pretty funny in a morbidly literal sense. All jokes aside, this week I returned to routine (work, gym and writing) and I feel pretty okay.

I'm aiming (high) to have a full draft done around the 12th. Chapter 1 draft is complete, chapter 2 is half done with a pretty solid plan for the remainder and chapter 3 has parts sorted but needs a lot more work. I've been reading like crazy because writing has been a little difficult and the reading has taken my thesis on a slight journey which is both good and bad. On the good side I'm really getting into this genealogy of theatre to new media and back. On the downside, I can already tell where I'll need to do some rewriting - which in a backhanded way is kind of a good thing.

This draft is mainly to get my references in order, or at least to show where and how I might use them. I've shredded my original material, but not in a bad way. I've just been less precious about it.

Sadly I'm not writing in that vein, so the next few days will hopefully be a little more to do with generation. We'll see.

I'm tossing up whether to take special consideration. I know it might be necessary but if I can avoid it I will.  One thing all of this has taught me is that time is really important and how you manage it is big. Before this I figured 'go hard for a year' and then do the next thing, but what good is that if a bus rolls you out of nowhere? I have so much happening early November with friends and family I'm not sure I want to miss it, just in case.

If I need the extension I'll take it, but if I can do without I'll do just that. I'll ask the Boss, because she'll give it to me straight.

Anyway, I'm really tired. But at the very least I have someone to dedicate my work to, and that's one less thing to worry about.

Love to you and yours,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment