Sunday 17 March 2013

Finding Gold

It's strange the stuff you find when you're looking for something else.

While I was looking through my old work to dig something up for Neal's class tomorrow, I came across an interview I'd written up between myself and Suz regarding a short piece we did recently. It highlighted a lot of the stuff I'm keen on exploring in my research and it was the first tentative step either of us had taken toward our goals of uniting live action with digital media.

Coming from theatre, it's really hard to find 'examples' of work. I have photos of a few pieces. I have scripts covered in highlighter marks and pencil scrawls. I have props and costume pieces I've collected from shows. I have memories and notes from cast and crew. But I don't really have anything tangible that I can show anyone else.

It's really strange. So many people have long resumes and can provide folios of work, but I have a huge resume with nothing attached. Theatre is so immediate as to leave only memory, which distorts even as it fades. Watching a film of a theatrical performance is nothing close to the real thing, and usually quite naff.

I guess I'm looking for a way to make this not the case anymore. It won't be theatre in the traditional sense, but it certainly won't be film (which is nice, because I hate watching myself back). It will be new, but I don't know what it will be yet or what form it will take.

What matters is that I found something old that will help me make something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment