Tuesday 19 March 2013

Prince

I looked over at Simon's pile of readings and all of them were related to Prince.

The two of us got talking, laughing at some terrible songs but also speaking about the better efforts of a man who sold out 21 straight concerts just by giving away free albums.

Prince is on another level.

Anyway, Simon and I talked about our research problems and our backgrounds. He told me about progressive rock, the nature of the album and the demise of the album as a format. Instead, Simon argued, artists will forgo entire albums in place of singles alone (excuse the semi-pun).

Aside from being interesting, this relates to my work as well. Theatre needs to speed up, to shorten and to be available for a quick purchase. Theatre, in order to survive, needs to speed up and be readily accessible.

I told Simon about Alfred Jarry, Yves Klein, Marina Abramovic, Richard Schechner, Elizabeth LeCompte, Forced Entertainment, La Fura Dels Baus. A rich history of experimental theatre that nobody but theatre lovers and theatre historians know about.

I told Simon about the legend, the death, of my artform.

As I explained it too him, I felt a strange sense of peace, but also a sense of anger and abandonment. Much that I have loved over the last ten years is leaving. Like a lover that isn't healthy for you, you don't want it/her to go, but you know if it/her stays you'll never grow.

I believe I'm in a very liminal place.

I left class and rode to see my brother for some physical training, then met up with Suz and her brother for some drink and conversation. But since I wasn't drinking, I felt like I needed to be somewhere else.

I'm liminal in every aspect of life right now. Not uncomfortable.

Liminal.

Wouldn't mind seeing some purple rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment