Wednesday 27 March 2013

Waiting for Immediacy

A clever title for a clever little project. Larissa spearheaded the movement and I sat down on my break today and had a little read of this collection of documents.

I was struck by a few things; her writing style, the playful nature of the project itself, the seemingly trite but actually deep subject nature of the collection, the crossover of artists and internationals and just how close this work is to what I'm aiming to create.

What really gets me is that we have different names for the same thing. I call it 'interactive theatre'; she calls it 'gaming'.

It's wonderful to hear that what goes on behind the camera is just as important (if not more so) that what happens in front of it. Is it something you can only truly appreciate by delving into the other side? I kind of think it is.

I come from a place that hates cameras, a world of spatiotemporal immediacy. For almost thirty years, I've aimed to NOT record, NOT document - to effectively erase myself and live only in memory.

Now, I write daily. I photograph daily. I have the beginnings of a digital presence forming, coalescing from a series of disparate points into a 'me' that can be seen and communicated with, but not smelled, touched.

But I can be 'poked', kept in 'touch' with, 'heard'. My voice will soon be there somewhere. My moving image will be there too, and I HATE watching myself so you'll have to do it for me.

I'm starting to spend more time joined to that machine and I still can't decide whether I like it or not, need it or not, want it or not.

I don't know. And all the while I'm reading, seeking searching.

Waiting. Waiting.

For Immediacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment