Monday 25 March 2013

Tell it like it is

Today was a long day, with a split between Uni and work.

The Uni part was great. We discussed the Sarup article in depth and jostled with a few of the concepts within. That being said, we'd already done a fair bit of this online so it was really just rehashing old material.

Next up was going over the practices of the people we missed last week, which included a PR Practicioner, a Games Designer, a Photographer and myself, the Performing Artist. It was great to see Steven's photos, Kim's game (that was a real highlight) and Anissha's Executive Summary.

However, I really got a lot out of trying to explain theatre without the aid of a performance. All I had was an interview I'd put together when Suz and I first ran 'Connected'. We discussed the difference in audiences, my move to tech and my hatred of regular theatre - even that I don't regard myself as an actor, but rather an artist, and not in that Bohemian sense.

Anyhow, as always, the class ran over and I missed my chance to stick around for more due to work, but I've really got a handle on my precursor project. It will be a performance of sorts, probably a video about connectivity and physical proximity, asking the viewers to perform some tasks and then see what they thought about it. I'll likely use it as a small project, which will open up an exegesis to be completed as the semester closes. That way I can experiment with the form I'll likely employ next semester.

As a final note, I'm finally meeting my likely supervisor tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll run my idea past whoever I end up with as a spare set of ears. It always helps to be honest and upfront. If you feel lost, displaced, angry or frustrated it's best to tell it like it is. That way it's out in the open and ready to be dealt with.

I'm tired. G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment