Sunday 26 May 2013

Dad

It's Dad's birthday today.

I called him after work - complete with brutal hangover - and we talked.

Typical Dad, even on his birthday he just wanted to hear what I'm up to, so I told him. I told him about trying to think like a researcher, about being an impetuous guy wanting to change the world through sheer will, about stress, about Liam snoring at 6pm after the fights, about everything.

He told me about his fiancée, about his friends, his near-step son, his plans for a visit, his stories (he writes short stories).

Dad is one of my best mates. We just resume where we left off last time, every time. He calls me out as I do him. He made me, but he never sits above me. He's so smart, so genuinely wise. He humbles me, and I love him for it.

I look at him and I see what I'll physically resemble every step of the way. He is 25 years older than me and he is 25 years older than me and he is 1000 years older than me. We're so different and yet, we're the eldest of our siblings, the most responsible of our generations and the best humoured of our family.

I hope I can stay half the man he is. 

Happy Birthday Dad. This one's for you.

Read this if you want another take on cool Dads:

http://www.mydadsmymate.com.au/2013/01/james-ian.html?m=1

No comments:

Post a Comment