Sunday 5 May 2013

From little things...

Haha! I thought today was going to be mentally low-key.

I woke up late (read: slept in because I had nowhere to be for once) and watched the Swans get up over Brisbane with my brother. We're New South Welshman, and accordingly I don't really care for AFL, but Liam's (my brother) quite into it so it was a nice bonding exercise. Plus we spent most of the time talking about my current studies and his impending ones (exercise science/human movement degree), which was pretty cool because many of our paths cross over due to the physicality of our pursuits.

Anyway, after that I went home and reread an old, semi-seminal text for devising (Making a Performance), this time with a keen eye towards Blast Theory, and rediscovered Gob Squad, in particular their show 'Room Service'. I also tapped into old favourites The Wooster Group and pretty much had a grand old brainstorm that could only be accomplished in the speed of handwriting - so I pulled out my pocket journal and went crazy.

I also received an email from the DERC about attending a meeting, and since my appointment with my supervisor was scheduled for right afterward we decided to do the lot together. It helps that she's the co-boss of the place I guess.

Anyway, after all of that I found myself very restless, in the way a painter gets when they've been away from a canvas for too long. I'm a live (what you may call 'theatre') performer first and foremost, and while I've shot about a dozen short films in the last year, I have not trodden the boards for over eighteen months. THAT IS A SERIOUS DRY SPELL.

What really hit me the most is that I have an urge to direct more than act. I want to play in a room full of players then send them on their way. I've directed before, so this isn't exactly new, but it's the first time I can think where my actual stage presence may hinder a show. This could be because I'm trying to maintain the distance of observer/researcher, or it could be that my prediction came about five years early (I knew at some point I'd become a director before an 'actor', I just thought it'd happen at 35, or 40) - but that might be wrong too.

I just had to shoot out a few tendrils to my people. Now I'm waiting for replies. I'm not sure whether I want to make this as part of my research or not, but I'm certain it has to be made and sometime this year.

Just for kicks, I started reading a little Dixon, only to find the guy is pretty much like me - performer turned (in my case, turning) academic. He also has really similar interests.

I'll leave this for now, but from zero-to-really-fast in a few hours needed to be written. Not sure how it'll all pan out but there's a storm brewing and I'm on the helm, rolling the wheel and laughing at my potential demise.

From little things...

No comments:

Post a Comment